Recently, I answered a question on Quora – Are there any online trusted tutoring sites?
A colleague asked me why did I give so many websites in the answer instead of just promoting teacheron.com, my website.
Following reasons I did that:
- I do what’s best for my readers/customers/users. It may have a side effect of short-term customer loss. Additionally, those who will research for such an answer will not only be looking at my answer but other answers too. They will find other websites regardless of if I mention them in my answer.
- Giving a complete, well thought out answer builds trust and authority.
- I believe if I do good by others, goodness will find me in the long run.
- Marketers should stop treating people like morons. They can see when someone is self-promoting.
- Besides being the ethical thing to do, it’s a smart business move as well.
Obviously, you have to have the confidence that you can compete with the best. If you are not doing the best work, why work at all?