To make money we lose our health, and then to restore our health we lose our money. We live as if we are never going to die, and we die as if we never lived.
- You become what you think. Think positive, think happy.
- You become what you eat. Eat healthily, eat for health.
- Your outer world is merely a reflection of your inner world. Make the inner world happy.
- Your mind can only hold one thought at a time. Positive or negative. Force happy thoughts long enough, your destiny will accept it.
When in doubt about which decision to take, I refer to these and then take decisions with relative peace.
- Avoid Decision fatigue – Keep first 60 minutes of your day consistent and mechanical. Repeat tasks. Keep same breakfast, same time for meditation and predetermined clothes to wear. Doing this frees up to make decisions which can actually affect the outcome of your day.
- Batch tasks:
- When we switch tasks, it increases cognitive load which leads to tired and distracted mind.
- When you focus on just one task at a time, work finishes faster and with better results.
- For me, batching can look like: write a blog post in a single session, check mail only 3-4 times a day and reply to all the emails I have received between these intervals.
- For a student, it can be reading one chapter in a single sitting or reading for 40 minutes without any phone and other distractions.
- Keep a checklist:
- All successful people, I have heard of, keep a list which has goals for the day, long-term goals or simply the tasks which they have to go throughout the day.
- This technique again corresponds to cognitive load. It takes decision making for small (or big) things out of the picture and helps you to focus on one thing at a time.
- The feeling of accomplishment that you get by crossing even smallest of tasks is in one word, great. I can write a lot about this, but it’s better if you just try and feel it for yourself.
- Compete with yourself. Set a bar that makes you happy. It’s futile to compare against others. Someone will always be better, faster, smarter, than you. You have to decide what makes you happy, and pursue that.
- Once you have achieved what you were aiming for, evaluate if it gave you the kind of happiness that you wanted. Set your future goals accordingly.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
- Excellent confidence builder
- Remedy for your mental health
- Should practice daily – Say thanks for the opportunity for blessings you have received.
- Read more about gratitude from various resources. It’s more important than you think.
Health is big for me. A full health page here.
- More is not better
- Different people have different sleep needs – stop nagging someone who needs more than four hours of sleep.
- Don’t drink too much water before sleep
- Don’t eat heavy/protein based diet before sleep – Keep three hours gap at least.
- Anger is dangerous to your psychical health
- You should stop and think when you are angry.
- Validate if your anger is justified
- Observe yourself that you are angry. Anger will evaporate. Read mindfulness for more details.
- You don’t get happiness if you are just running after it
- Bigger car, bigger house, more money and just more of everything won’t make you happy
- Most of these things are must have – If you don’t have them it makes you unhappy
- Once you have enough of these, then more of it ceases to make you happier and may even make you miserable.
- “Enough money” is relative. However, research says – for someone in the US, it’s $50,000 per year and someone in India, it’s Rs 50,000 per month at the time of writing this post.
- You get happiness when you are trying to make others happy.
- Money can buy happiness
- Jealousy repels happiness
- If you are one of those people who are glad to have a Honda car until your neighbours got an Audi, you are doomed to burn perpetually in jealousy fire. There would always be someone better, richer, more beautiful than you.
- Focus is doing one thing at a time – really well.
- Focus helps you do more in less time